File Upload in Livewire

When I try to handle file uploads in Livewire the request(‘upload’) value is always null when I submit my form.

<form wire:submit.prevent="uploadDocument()">
    <label for="name" class="block text-sm leading-5 font-medium text-gray-700">
        Document Name
    </label>
    <input wire:model.lazy="name" class="flex-1 form-input block w-full min-w-0 rounded-none rounded-md transition duration-150 ease-in-out sm:text-sm sm:leading-5" type="text" id="name" name="name" required="required"/>
    @error('name')<br><span class="text-red-500 text-xs italic">{{$message}}</span> @enderror

<label for="upload" class="mt-8 block text-sm leading-5 font-medium text-gray-700">
        Upload a Document
    </label>
    <input type="file" wire:model="upload" id="upload" class="mt-2 mb-2 form-control"/>
    @error('upload')<br><span class="text-red-500 text-xs italic">{{$message}}</span> @enderror

<div class="flex justify-end">
        <button type="submit" class="inline-flex items-center justify-center px-2 py-1 border border-green-700 font-medium rounded-md text-green-700 bg-green-100 hover:bg-green-50 focus:outline-none focus:border-green-300 focus:shadow-outline-green active:bg-green-200 transition ease-in-out duration-150 text-xs sm:leading-5">
            Upload Document
        </button>
    </div>
</form>

Because the request(‘upload’) is always empty the validation in my controller always fails.

public function uploadDocument()
{

$this->validate([
        'name' => 'required',
        'upload' => 'file|max:5120'
    ]);

$filename = Storage::putFile('documents', $this->upload);
    $document = new Document;
    $document->name = $this->name;
    $document->diary_id = $this->diary->id;
    $document->uploaded_by = Auth::user()->id;
    $document->filename = $this->upload->getClientOriginalName();
    $document->doc_url = $filename;
    $document->save();
    $this->diary->documents()->attach($document);
    $this->diary->refresh();
}

I followed Caleb’s screencast course for file uploads but cant seem to get it to work.
I have added Use WithFileUploads;
My Livewire version is v1.3.2.
Can you see what I’m doing wrong?

Further investigation shows the network request to upload the file failing.

Hey @finchy70,

I guess that your validation is the problem. You named the validation rule “uploadDoc”, but it should be “upload”, like your variable.

It seems Browsersync is breaking Livewire uploads. If I move to the valet addess domain@test it works. If I use domain@test:3000 it doesn’t.

I guess that your validation is the problem. You named the validation rule “uploadDoc”, but it should be “upload”, like your variable.

Your right about the validation but that is not the reason for the error. I have now corrected that.