Livewire screencasts

I have been struggling with my Livewire crud for a some months. Maybe I am dumb, Idk. The reason in my image input. When I try to edit a whole post, it is empty in my edit/create form. But I wanna tell you another thing.

If I don’t know anything, I am trying to learn it as soon as possible. That’s why I can’t sleep, I keep asking at the forums. I couldn’t get help here, at laracasts, stackoverflow. I have watched almost everything about Livewire on YouTube. Now I almost give up. Today I tried laravel + inertia, react or vue. I have never used js frameworks, so it is very difficult for me now.

Yesterday I have bought the lessons from Caleb. He is using laravel 7 and Livewire 1. I can’t follow him, cuz his solutions do not work on laravel 8 and Livewire 2. I am too tired and exhausted for now to invent a wheel and correct issues.

Anyway I like Livewire. It’s a cool thing, that’s why I was trying to keep it in my admin dashboard. A whole big admin dashboard is built on Livewire… I have spent a lot of time for this.

Have someone been in such a trouble?

Hey, @nataly

First thing I can say to you: There is nothing wrong with you or your learning path. Cause everyone struggled at some point.

If you are familiar with VueJS (probably not) you will find livewire easy.

First. Livewire is just a package for laravel. If you know how to deal with laravel things, you will find livewire easy.
Second. You don’t need to use Livewire everywhere. There are some places can use livewire in. and some places vanilla laravel can fit the needs.

Third. If you want to learn more about livewire. I suggest Alex’s Videos, it’s cool and high quality. You can see the playlists from here

Last thing (but not least). If you need any help, don’t hesitate to DM me with anything and I will be happy to help you.

So, What I want to say that. Don’t give up and keep learning and learning until you achieve your goals, cause everyone struggled at some point.

@nataly

I have been struggling with my Livewire crud for a some months. Maybe I am dumb, Idk.

You’re not dumb and don’t beat yourself up when you get stuck, it’s all part of the process. Programming can be difficult, everyone encounters issues at some point in time. You should try to avoid allowing moments where you’re really stuck from overwhelming you to the point you become frustrated and want to give up (easier said than done though). Don’t forget that even the professionals and teachers make mistakes and get stuck. For example if you watch the Livewire Screencasts, Caleb makes a few mistakes and just makes a joke about it.

If I don’t know anything, I am trying to learn it as soon as possible. That’s why I can’t sleep, I keep asking at the forums.

Don’t overwhelm yourself. This might be by setting yourself too many goals, trying to learn many new things at once or setting unrealistic expectations of yourself. Not sleeping will not be helping either as you’ll be feeling mentally and physically drained which will reduce your mood and productivity. Sleep is an important part of your routine as the process of sleeping clears out chemicals that build up in your brain during the day.

Some advice that I find works for me. If you are struggling with something and can feel yourself becoming overly frustrated either at yourself or at the problem, take some time away. Counter that negativity with something positive, this could be time with friends/family, watching a TV show, playing a computer game, going for some exercise or even tackling another feature within your project. Just do something that you enjoy. The act of achieving something releases endorphins which make you feel good. Feeling stuck or lost constantly can quickly overwhelm you, so it is important to do something positive to keep your spirits up and maintain motivation.

You will often find that if you return to a problem after taking time away to clear your head, you’ll come up with a solution. As soon as you feel yourself becoming overly frustrated, take a break.

Yesterday I have bought the lessons from Caleb. He is using laravel 7 and Livewire 1. I can’t follow him, cuz his solutions do not work on laravel 8 and Livewire 2. I am too tired and exhausted for now to invent a wheel and correct issues.

Don’t forget you get access to a private Git repository with all the source code when you sponsor the Livewire project. The code in the repo uses Laravel 8 and Livewire 2.

Anyway I like Livewire. It’s a cool thing, that’s why I was trying to keep it in my admin dashboard. A whole big admin dashboard is built on Livewire… I have spent a lot of time for this.

Livewire is very good but remember, it might not always be the best tool for the job. I’ve not made any full page components yet, but I am having great success using Livewire for building small self contained components.

Keep things simple to start with, don’t add too much complexity. Set yourself small achievable targets, write them down on some paper and cross them off as you do them. This will make you feel like you are progressing and help you stay motivated.

Have someone been in such a trouble?

Yes, anyone who is pushing their limits has been in your position at some point. I really like the proverb He who makes no mistakes makes nothing. Point being, making mistakes and getting stuck is how you grow and develop both professionally and personally. Don’t be afraid or ashamed of being stuck. Keep trying new things, keep tinkering, keeping watching videos and reading articles but be realistic to yourself. Don’t try to recreate Facebook or Amazon overnight.

Not programming related but hopefully helpful. Very successful people have made many mistakes. Richard Branson, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos (to name a few people) have all had failures in their lives but they don’t allow those failures to prevent them from moving forward.

Guys, you know, it was a desperate post written late at night.
I have been facing this problem with lack of an image in an edit form for three or four months. I tried to correct it, then left, again and again. The reason of using Livewire is that ordinary laravel controllers do not work. Maybe I have less knowledge. I was trying to write a laravel resource controller. I couldn’t manage with update and delete methods. Why? Idk. I can made a separate small site, where laravel resource controller works perfectly.
Then I had an idea. If I added a file manager, it would return an uploaded image in edit form. The result: I can add elfinder and filepond. Even I could do it myself, then saw, how Caleb made the same in another way in his videos. Ok, I can store an image in db. But I can’t return it in my edit form. I don’t have such a problem with other inputs even with a trix editor, which is instead of my textarea.

Such a long story heh

Now I am learning vue, also I am listening to a full course of JavaScript and repeat php from the beginning. I have been a bit familiar with react. My head will blew soon​:joy::joy::joy:

Anyway it’s a very strange thing with laravel controller’s behaviour on my admin dashboard. Livewire and Laravel work great together on the rest of the site. I mean other public pages. My stack is TALL. I couldn’t install jetstream with inertia in a new laravel app. I got an error. Oh gosh, another error. Not now.

Thank you for your support​:pray::pray::pray:

Third. If you want to learn more about livewire. I suggest Alex’s Videos, it’s cool and high quality. You can see the playlists from here

Last thing (but not least). If you need any help, don’t hesitate to DM me with anything and I will be happy to help you.

@skywalker thank you for offering your help. I will begin with the lessons first. Then definitely ask you. I have gone through the names of the lessons. There is nothing about images. Maybe multistep forms will help. I will check tomorrow☺️

Hey, @nataly

Just follow along with Alex and if you got any question I’m here. Just Ask and I’ll answer your questions when I got time.

Happy coding!

Integrating complex JS form goodies like FilePond, Trix, Pikaday, etc. into livewire (or any other JS framework) is a bit code-ninja & google-ninja for sure. Great that Caleb appreciates need to use these and has demos / code, etc. More examples from other folks appearing, too, since it is impossible to account for all the scenarios and I too struggle with my unique needs/bugs vs what Caleb shows.

I am using FilePond and can upload, “edit” (view existing images for deletion or reordering, etc.) and remove images in my crud. It is working pretty well and I don’t think it would be any easier in another system … in other words, most of the complexity was due to the FilePond & not the livewire!

Yesterday I could add ordinary laravel resource controller into my Livewire admin dashboard. Why couldn’t I make it before? Of course, cuz of many errores, which aren’t shown with description, like empty white or grey displays. But I still have to struggle with filepond. It is more stylish that elfinder.
We were talking here about filepond:

So, I can upload and return the name of image into filepond field in edit form, that is there and in the same time isn’t there. I can just delete it and add a new one.

Anyway I finish with filepond for now. I definitely return to it, but later. I do not say that Livewire bad or something. I am a beginner and I am self educated. I wrote, what was happened with me. I really asked here and at other forums. Ppl just didn’t notice the post, I think. And that’s it.
Moreover I like Livewire, although often it doesn’t show errores🙂